write a PowerPoint Reflections (1-2 pages typed) on the PowerPoint, choosing one to two ideas and/or quotes from thePPT and analyzing them in the context of the information presented or videos. You can also bringin your own experiences and connections made to any current events or issues.Ida B. Wells Housing Projects
LeAlan Jones and Lloyd Newman
¤ In Chicago, two Black teenagers, Lloyd Newman and LeAlan
Jones win a contest promoted by the successful producer
Dave Isay of NPR – National Public Radio – for a documentary
about the daily life in the neighborhood where they live.
¤ They prepare a documentary showing their routines and their
lives, which leads to a second documentary about the death
of Eric Morse, a young kid in the Southside of Chicago.
¤ Those podcasts turn into a book and a movie.
¤ They win the prestigious Peabody Award with their work.
Lloyd and LeAlan w/David Isay
History of housing in the Southside of Chicago
¤ Lloyd grew up in the Ida B. Wells building. LeAlan lived down the
street in a house with his grandmother. Here is some history on
that housing development:
¤ In the 1930s, Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) built public
housing projects to provide decent homes for poor to low
¤ Lots of federal money went into these projects and by the 1950s
and 1960s, they were larger than ever, sometimes measuring up
to 4 miles long!
¤ Think of what happens when there is a highly populated area in
a high density areas. How does that impact people?
¤ Ida B. Wells opened in 1941.
¤ These houses were a huge asset to the community since
they provided clean, safe decent housing for working
class Black families.
¤ It wasn’t easy to get into the projects, the CHA only
accepted the very best families, those with jobs, no
criminal records, no credit problems, etc.
¤ Neighbors formed teams to take care of the buildings.
¤ There were lots of resources for the community!
¤ The best part of it all, is that there was a ton of positive
activities – a community newspaper, sports, a radio club,
A Community Neglected
¤ Things changed in the decades that followed. Jobs and
resources left the area. The government severely decreased the
funding to these properties.
¤ At the same time, the city began ignoring maintenance
problems. They had built too much housing too fast, and they
couldn’t afford the upkeep.
¤ Crime and violence became rampant.
¤ The government neglected people and communities. Buildings
were falling apart. Basic needs were not being met (electricity,
garbage pick-up, pest control, clean water). No resources were
given to the community.
Southside of Chicago – today
Southside of Chicago – Violence
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.