Use the pdf provided! Follow and read directions carefully.Directions
Using the following documents linked below follow the directions and answer the following question. Be sure to reference the documents in the text as evidence to support your claim.
Evaluate whether the French Revolution was motivated primarily by Enlightenment ideas or by economic concerns.Directions: This question is based on the five accompanying documents. The documents have been
edited for the purpose of this exercise.
In your response you should do the following.
Respond to the prompt with a historically defensible thesis or claim that establishes a line of
Describe a broader historical context relevant to the prompt.
Support an argument in response to the prompt using at least four documents.
Use at least two additional pieces of specific historical evidence (beyond that found in the
documents) relevant to an argument about the prompt.
For at least two documents, explain how or why the document’s point of view, purpose, historical
situation, and/or audience is relevant to an argument.
Use evidence to corroborate, qualify, or modify an argument that addresses the prompt.
Evaluate whether the French Revolution was motivated primarily by Enlightenment ideas or by
Source: Arthur Young, British agricultural expert, diary of his travels in France in the late 1780s
JUNE 1, 1787. The same wretched country continues; the fields are scenes of disgraceful management.
Yet all this farmland could be improved, if they knew what to do with it: Heaven grant me patience while
I see a country thus neglected—and forgive me the oaths I swear at the absence and ignorance of the
JUNE 10. Met many beggars, which we had not done before. All the country girls and women are without
shoes or stockings; and the ploughmen at their work do not have clogs. This is poverty that strikes at the
root of national prosperity.
Source: Charles, Count de Calonne, proposals presented to the Assembly of Notables [a group of French
noblemen called together by the king to enact financial reforms], 1787
Tax exemptions are defended by self-interest, influence, wealth and ancient prejudices which seem to be
hallowed by time. But what are all these together compared with the common good and the necessity of
the state? These abuses oppress the wealth-producing, laboring class. Unjust tax exemptions only relieve
one section of taxpayers by aggravating the condition of the others.
His Majesty has decided to remedy these defects by applying the rules of a strictly distributive justice, by
restoring the original intention behind the vingtième tax [a type of income tax], and by raising it to its true
value without increasing anyone’s contribution, and finally by abolishing every kind of tax exemption.
The vingtième will be replaced by a general land tax, covering the whole area of the kingdom.
Source: List of grievances by anonymous women, early 1789
We have a right to complain about the education we are given, about the prejudices that make us slaves,
and about the injustice with which we are deprived at birth of the inheritances that nature and equity
should assure us.
Could it be possible that philosophy
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.